21/02/2010

Yi-Ban, London. E16 2QT.

Yi-Ban
London Regatta Centre,
Dockside Road,
Royal Albert Dock.
London
E16 2QT
www.yi-ban.co.uk

Food Style: Chinese (Dim Sum)
Closest DLR Station: Royal Albert and Prince Regent
Parking: Plenty of parking spaces available

Recommends: Mango and Tapioca Pudding, Fried Squid
Avoid: Over-ordering fried items

Review:
Having realised that I have actually visited this place before, after recognising a nearby hotel and the restaurant building itself, my expectations were somewhat lower than usual as I hadn't recognised the name or area until that precise moment of entering the front door.

The restaurant itself reminded me of a warehouse converted to a makeshift restaurant, however the fact that it did overlook the River and City Airport did balance this out. Many of the tables catered for the larger families (think 10+) but it was still in the Chinese New Year celebration period (Year of the Tiger by the way) and I could see families exchanging red packets.

Their Dim-Sum menu was quite varied and had my favourite dish (Sticky Rice) so automatically got two thumbs up. As usual food was over ordered, resulting in half the items being bought in doggy bags, but I am pretty certain that this is mainly due to the fried items being over oily and quite sickening. Having ordered around 5 different spring roll type items etc it was quite clear that the fried items were more oily that one would expect and so instantly off putting.

The Sticky Rice was around average, but seeing as it is my favourite dish and so far a Canadian Restaurant has only lived up to my high expectations this isn't so bad. The Dumplings and Cheong Fun were okay, I am pretty sure that if you buy these (frozen/ fresh respectively) from supermarkets it tastes the same if not better.

Other things worth mentioning:
-Mango and Tapioca Pudding: Gorgeous as it actually tasted of Mango, and had lovely sweet pieces of mango in it.
-Fried Squid: The batter was crispy , not too heavy and flavoursome and the squid cooked perfectly.
-Yam Croquettes: They came out cold in the middle, and had to ask to get them replaced
-Waiting Time: We booked, and as it was CNY this might not be an accurate reflection but there were families waiting to be seated after we left (~3pm).
-Service: Questionable, after ordering two noodle dishes, 3 dim sum items etcetc they have all been brought out together in other places, but here it seemed to just be unorganised and quite annoying. ALSO, its a good idea to remember what you ordered, as we have to keep on reminding them that we ordered 2 more dishes etc.


The most important part (?). Well coming to ~£22 per head is not bad at all, and alot cheaper than other places, and easy to get to. However, after leaving with your guts all slicked up in oil and not wanting to think about food for about a week I think it's not a place you'd want to go to every time you want some Dim Sum.

Rating: B. Average. It's somewhere I would go to again if invited, but I wouldn't suggest there myself.

2 comments:

  1. lol after that review, who would invite you again!

    in all seriousness, a very informative and balanced review. i think it is safe to say that there is a professional food critic in you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @A well that depends, I still eat in Hare and Tortoise in Russell Square even though I have seen how greasy the food is, I still go if asked or if I am in a greasy food mood [yea that does happen]

    ReplyDelete